Namespace URI address resources

Murray Maloney murray at muzmo.com
Thu Jun 17 19:18:55 BST 1999

At 11:55 PM 6/17/99 +1000, Rick Jelliffe wrote:
>From: David Megginson <david at megginson.com>
>>Murray Maloney writes:
>>
>> > Well. Maybe meta-data, but a schema is simply declarative.
>> > It does not perform any processing. Editing, creating and
>> > validating are all applications. So what?
>>
>>Schemas and stylesheets are both declarative, and both include
>>information that can be acted on by processors.  In the case of a
>>schema, the result is a truth value (valid/not valid) and, optionally,
>>a transformation (supplying default values, etc.); in the case of a
>>stylesheet, the result is a transformation or rendition.
>
>I think that this exchange reveals the central confusion that people
>have. If the editor of the Information Set draft and the editor of the
>Schema draft still are feeling around the issue of a schema, what hope
>for the rest of us :-) They are both exceptional men, but it shows that
>there is lot of room for community discussion.
>
>Murray  views schemas largely as the patterns by which documents are
>constructed (or "described"). David views schemas as a specifications
>for validation.

First of all, the context of my statement is missing.
Secondly, I do not disagree with David's statement.
Third, thanks for the compliment. I am gratified to
know that someone considers me and David to be exceptional.

However, your characterization of my views are not completely
in sync with my actual views. I do agree with David's views
and do not see any incompatibility between these views.

Murray Maloney, Esq.          Phone: (905) 509-9120
Muzmo Communication Inc.      Fax:   (905) 509-8637
671 Cowan Circle              Email: murray at muzmo.com
Pickering, Ontario 		Web:   http://www.muzmo.com
Canada, L1W 3K6

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)