Announcement: SAX2 1999-06-01 alpha release for Java

Miles Sabin msabin at cromwellmedia.co.uk
Mon Jun 21 11:14:57 BST 1999

David Megginson wrote,
> I'm either to live with the status quo or to back out
> and scrap reporting of entity boundaries altogether --
> this is getting far too complicated for far too little
> real reward.

The reward, yet again, is in DOM building: entity
reference reporting would allow sharing of entity
expansions in the tree.

I'd like to see this in, but I agree that it's quite
hard to see how it could be done given the current
method for reporting attribute values.

Is there any chance of us changing that? How about an
alternative start tag reporting interface which reports,

  startOpenElement(String name);
  startAttribute(String name);
  attributeCharacters(char[] chars, int off, int len);
  endAttribute(String name);
  endOpenElement(String name);

These calls could be interspersed with startEntity() and
endEntity() calls quite straightforwardly. I guess
something similar could be done for parameter entities.
It also has the advantage of not requiring the
stringification of attribute values (something I've
never been too happy with).

I'm not sure how this could be made to interwork with
the current scheme tho'.

Cheers,

Miles

--
Miles Sabin                          Cromwell Media
Internet Systems Architect           5/6 Glenthorne Mews

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)