XSL and the semantic web

Marc.McDonald at Design-Intelligence.com Marc.McDonald at Design-Intelligence.com
Mon Jun 21 23:53:38 BST 1999

I think the point was that <H3>Joe</H3> has lost the fact that 'Joe' was a
name (<name>Joe</name>), and similarly with the phone number. It is not
arguing that the employeeness or status is being requested (elements not
rendered) - just the original element identification of those elements which
are presented.

It comes down to a difference between CSS and XSL(FO):
FO's force you to reconstruct your elements as formatting objects which lose
all contextual information from the original (both nesting and element
identification). In this way it is like translating to HTML (which was the
example).

If I wanted to search for the name 'Joe' or the phone number I could get as
many false hits as I do with HTML sites - nothing identifies a name or phone
number.

CSS on the other hand would have kept the employee and phone elements and
just added the attributes to describe the 1st as a heading level 3 and the
second as a paragraph.

Why should seeing information in a formatted form destroy its organization?
If it were presented as a form or table I could see writing HTML examiners
that look for labels for cells and headings for rows/columns just to get
back the original element names.

Why does information have to be destroyed for presentation? It is not
required (CSS doesn't do it). I haven't seen some groundswell of 'Please let
me destroy the organization I worked so hard to put on this data'

Looks to me like grasping at straws to justify FO model.

Marc B McDonald
Principal Software Scientist
Design Intelligence, Inc
www.design-intelligence.com <http://www.design-intelligence.com>