XSL and the semantic web

David Brownell david-b at pacbell.net
Tue Jun 22 00:32:49 BST 1999

Marc.McDonald at Design-Intelligence.com wrote:

> I think the point was that <H3>Joe</H3> has lost the fact that
>'Joe' was a name (<name>Joe</name>), and similarly with the
> phone number.

I read that just fine.  And as I said, you don't have any kind
of entitlement or right to such information, so it's no use to
base any arguments on such an entitlement.

For example, there are risks to society in making it too easy
for people to find out information about other folk.  It makes
it easy to perform identity theft, invade privacy, etc.  The
very example (a semantic web search) you used to motivate your
desire for this representation came across to me as a powerful
reason to avoid what you're arguing in favor of!

> Looks to me like grasping at straws to justify FO model.

... or to attack it!  In fact, I never mentioned FOs, the
points I was making apply to _any_ element vocabulary used
to deliver information.  They will be used to filter out data,
and hide it in less accessible forms, since organizations
MUST do that.  The more sensitive the data, the more work
will be (or at least should be!) put into filtering it out
or hiding it.

- Dave

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)