parsers for Palm?

Rick Jelliffe ricko at allette.com.au
Wed Jun 30 08:37:28 BST 1999

From: Simon St.Laurent <simonstl at simonstl.com>

>Nope!  23K is really what I was hoping for.  50K seemed like the
ceiling,
>10K seemed like too much to hope for.  I'll definitely take a look.

Our toy XXX (eXperimental XML leXer) is being written (in C) to try out
an idea
for smaller parsers for PDAs.
http://www.ascc.net/xml/en/utf-8/xxxlex.html

The basic idea is that perhaps the way to make a smaller footprint is to
make a generic lexer that is good enough to handle XML, HTML, DTDs, CSS,
URIs and JavaScript. We make a state machine where all state/transition
behaviour is parameterized into tables or transitions and callbacks.

Similarly, if we have a generic lexer, it makes sense to also have a
generic
regular-expression validator and a generic uniqueness validator. These
three components together seem to be enough to handle most of what is
required.

Rather than having an XML parser that fits into 23K, what about an
WBXML/HTML/XML/DTD/CSS/JavaScript/URI/ISO 8601 parser
that fits into 50K? (Well, I don't know what a good estimate is: perhaps
50K to 10K, depending on how big a generic regex validator is.)

Comments welcome.

Rick Jelliffe
Academia Sinica Computing Centre

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)