parsers for Palm?

Simon St.Laurent simonstl at simonstl.com
Wed Jun 30 19:01:23 BST 1999

At 03:42 PM 6/30/99 +1000, Rick Jelliffe wrote:
>Our toy XXX (eXperimental XML leXer) is being written (in C) to try out
>an idea
>for smaller parsers for PDAs.
>http://www.ascc.net/xml/en/utf-8/xxxlex.html
>
>[...much good...]
>
>Rather than having an XML parser that fits into 23K, what about an
>WBXML/HTML/XML/DTD/CSS/JavaScript/URI/ISO 8601 parser
>that fits into 50K? (Well, I don't know what a good estimate is: perhaps
>50K to 10K, depending on how big a generic regex validator is.)

This is a really good idea, thinking in a different direction, and could be
very useful, especially if it were available, say, in ROM.

My one concern is that for Palm devices, there are some 64K limits.  I'm
still trying to figure out what exactly this does to code and how (if at
all) it's changed in PalmOS 3.0, so it may not be that large a problem.

Sadly, all the NetNanny-type software out there will probably block out
your code think it's about something other than parsing.

Simon St.Laurent
XML: A Primer / Building XML Applications
Sharing Bandwidth / Cookies
http://www.simonstl.com

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)