Looking for XML Filtering Projects

Marcelo Cantos marcelo at mds.rmit.edu.au
Mon Mar 1 23:39:37 GMT 1999

On Mon, Mar 01, 1999 at 06:02:08PM -0500, Mark Murphy wrote:
> At XTech '99, I am delivering a presentation on information filtering
> applied to XML -- given a source of new/changed XML-encoded data,
> determining which of a set of people are interested in that XML based on
> filter criteria.
>
> I want to make sure I mention any relevant work in this area, besides my own
> and other projects I'm already aware of (e.g., XTenit.com, XML-enabled
> search tools like sgrep).

Our database server (SIM) has a facility for querying a database at
regular intervals.  The results are masked with a last-modified
filter, which is updated each time the query is issued.  This means
that users can run a session, build up queries (either by creating new
ones, or merging prior result sets with boolean operators) and then
save them.  They can then have those saved queries executed regularly
on any new or changed data and a notification sent to them in an
appropriate manner (e.g. an emailed page of abstracts and accompanying
links).

The beauty of this approach is that is conflates the concept of filter
and query.  Hence, users wishing to filter documents for items of
interest have the full expressive querying power of the database with
which to define their peculiar interests.

Cheers,
Marcelo

--
http://www.simdb.com/~marcelo/