WIDL

Ingo Macherius macherius at darmstadt.gmd.de
Wed Mar 10 20:21:41 GMT 1999

Chad Adams <cadams at cascadecc.com> wrote at 10 Mar 99, 12:23:

> Is anybody doing a B2B/WIDL type of application?

There is a lot of research going on with in the area of wrapper
generation. Some approaches prefer creating java objects, others
directly map to XML. Implementations include:

http://db.cis.upenn.edu/W4F/
http://www.cse.ogi.edu/DISC/XWRAP/
http://www.darmstadt.gmd.de/oasys/projects/jedi/jedie.html

Just look at the bibliographies to find others.

> Am I dreaming to think that this can give me a light weight remoting
> technology with out the likes of RMI, CORBA, Weblogic, ObjectSpace etc.

Have a look at XML query languages, they are about that (among other
things).

http://www.w3.org/TandS/QL/QL98/

A good paper to start with is from David Maier, look at sections 2.9
and 2.10 to see his Vision of data communication via XML on the web.

http://www.w3.org/TandS/QL/QL98/pp/maier.html

And of course there is Microsoft's vision, see

http://www.oasis-open.org/cover/bosworthXML98.html

Hope that helps.

	++im
--
Ingo Macherius//Dolivostrasse 15//D-64293 Darmstadt//+49-6151-869-882
GMD-IPSI German National Research Center for Information Technology

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)