ModSAX: Proposed Core Features

James Tauber jtauber at jtauber.com
Sun Mar 14 05:43:47 GMT 1999

>[John Cowan]
>>I understand what you mean.  I believe you are not correct.
>>Conditional sections are allowed in external PEs referenced
>>from the internal subset, just not in the internal subset itself.

[Sean McGrath]
>I only have one validating XML parser on this machine IBMs
>XML4J:-

[...]
> Error: Conditional section only allowed in external subset. (2,3)

My reading of 2.8 of the REC supports John Cowan against XML4J.

In particular:

"However, portions of the contents of the external subset OR OF EXTERNAL
PARAMETER ENTITIES may conditionally be ignored by using the conditional
section construct".

The constraints on the internal subset are to make life easier for
non-validating parsers that read only the document entity (see 5.1)

The significant point to note is that external parameter entities referenced
in the internal subset are not part of the internal subset.

James

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)