XML and (K)Office

Marc.McDonald at Design-Intelligence.com Marc.McDonald at Design-Intelligence.com
Sat Mar 27 01:16:55 GMT 1999

I think the conflict is caused by the concept of a valid document as
opposed to parsing according to a DTD. Validity introduced a useful
concept, but perhaps we should divorce it from parsing.

A 'valid' document meets the requirements of a DTD. When we talk about
not needing to validate a document, we are assuming that it has
already been validated when it was created so why waste the time doing
it again. Perhaps another way to view it is to say that a document has
been certified against a particular specification. Currrently, this
specification is a DTD.

But what if the specification were more abstract, say a URI? As with
namespaces, there may be an agreed DTD associated with the URI (the
agreement is human convention) or the specification could be non-DTD
based (this document conforms to IRS/1999/ScheduleD). Applications
that produce or consume documents may use DTDs or any other form to
describe agreed structure.

This would separate validity from parsing according to a DTD -
validity is certification of conformance to whatever a URI has been
agreed to represent. Validity is then not a method of parsing but a
certificate of conformance.

Marc B McDonald
Principal Software Scientist
Design Intelligence, Inc