virus alert!!! Re: Important Message From Fred McLain

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Sat Mar 27 01:52:22 GMT 1999

I would outlaw the sending and receipt of all MS document formats if a company really wanted
security.

Even a .txt file, if it contains "rich text" and you use Word as your default viewer, can
contain a windows binary that can be executed.

I've received zillions of these in the last several years and many other trojan horses.  I
don't even look at Word/Excel, etc. documents from people I don't know.

It really is unbelievable how little security MS designed software has.

Viva XML....  And Java.

sdw

--
OptimaLogic - Finding Optimal Solutions     Web/Crypto/OO/Unix/Comm/Video/DBMS
sdw at lig.net   Stephen D. Williams  Senior Consultant/Architect   http://sdw.st

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)