PI target names

Don Park donpark at quake.net
Tue May 11 06:18:46 BST 1999

Are there any efforts to organize processing instruction target names?  PI
target names are not affected by namespaces except losing colon as a legal
character to fit in with XML 1.0 production rules.  How should one go about
naming processing instruction targets?  Shouldn't we have some kind of
guidelines like the way MIME types are defined?

For example, it seems appropriate to use a processing instruction for
solving Dave Winer's XML redirection problem.  Yet I am clueless as to how
it should be named to avoid conflict.

<?redirect SYSTEM "http://rss.docuverse.com/news/headlines.rss" ?>

looks right except I am using a rather common word as the target name and
the problem grows if there is a need for more target names in the XML
redirection proposal.  There is also the problem of PI target names used in
the SGML world.

I think we should address this issue before it gets out of control.

Best,

Don Park
Docuverse

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)