Argh...Entities

Rick Jelliffe ricko at allette.com.au
Tue May 11 21:04:14 BST 1999

From: John Cowan <cowan at locke.ccil.org>

>If we are to have validatable ENTITY/ENTITIES attributes, then
>we must have unparsed entity declarations as well.  Either
>lose both or keep both, say I.

IMHO internal entities should be remapped to use URIs:
    <!ENTITY blah "blah">
should become

    <entity name="blah" system="#XPTR=ID(xml-entity:blah)" />
    <xml id="xml-entity:blah">blah</xml>

The entity mechanism is not so useful in XML, given that it duplicates
the logical interface to storage already provided by URI/MIME/HTTP.

There should be no way to specify entities used directly (e.g. used as
&xxx;) in XSchema. The existing declarations should be kept as they are
and left to wither or grow naturally as XLinks become available.

Rick Jelliffe

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)