Multiple(?) / Reuse of Parsers

Leigh Dodds ldodds at ingenta.com
Fri May 14 12:24:34 BST 1999

Hi,

I'm currently working with an application that uses both
DOM and SAX for parsing XML. The application creates
a DOM representation of a document, and then uses the SAX api to
parse a second document using the event driven interface.

Currently I'm creating two parsers. One for the DOM
representation, and one for the SAX parsing (SAXParser and DOMParser
classes in XML4J).

The latest version of this parser allows multiple parsers
to be created (just downloading, so haven't tested it yet),
but am I right in thinking that this isn't generally true for other
parsers?

Also, *should* I create a second parser when parsing the second
document (through SAX), or can I reuse the first parser once
the DOM representation has been created? I'm concerned there
may be some 'gotchas'. I'm going to be reading the DOM representation
based on the events from the SAX style parse.

The 2.0.6. version of XML4J gives me a "InputSource stack out-of-sync"
message at the moment - which I think may be because I'm
creating two parsers which it doesn't support - hence the download
of 2.0.9. which I'm about to try.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

Cheers,

L.

    "Never Do With More, What Can Be Achieved With Less"
				---William of Occam
Leigh Dodds                             Eml:  ldodds at ingenta.com
ingenta ltd                             Tel:  +44 1225 826619
BUCS Building, University of Bath       Fax:  +44 1225 826283