[Question] Re: XLink: behavior must go!

Simon St.Laurent simonstl at simonstl.com
Mon May 17 15:03:30 BST 1999

At 04:36 AM 5/17/99 -0500, Paul Prescod wrote:
>> I figured BEHAVIOR would be an ordinary attribute - say, "popup" instead of
>> "popup()", which the style sheet or other app-specific gizmo then converts
>> to "popup()" as appropriate, knowing what the context was supposed to be.
>> Sort of like a selector for CSS Action Sheets, if they get off the ground.
>
>You probably know this already but: you can use any attribute as a
>selector. And if you use your own attribute name then you can namespace it
>to avoid accidental name/semantic clashes.

Er... yes... but isn't XLink about providing a list of attributes we can
use reliably with _any_ set of documents to build hypertexts?  I _could_
create my own 'behavior'-like attribute, but knowing that everyone has
access to the same behavior attribute at least provides me with the ability
to perform selection on any XLink-conformant spec.  I may not know what
they mean, but at least I can test it and find out.

I'm starting to wonder if it isn't time to wait and see what the next
(supposedly soon) draft says.  As John Simpson said, this is up there with
entrail-interpretation.  Not being an ancient Roman priest, I'm not very
good at that.

Simon St.Laurent
XML: A Primer / Building XML Applications (June)
Sharing Bandwidth / Cookies
http://www.simonstl.com

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)