SAX2 and Acceptor/Connector

Gabe Beged-Dov begeddov at jfinity.com
Tue May 18 17:04:47 BST 1999

It seems to me that all of the new functionality in SAX2 can be
described as create time negotiation between the consumer of XML parsing
services and the provider.

Once this negotiation has completed, the steady state usage of the
parser is done via the same interfaces as in SAX1. There is a design
pattern that addresses similar issues called the Acceptor/Connector
pattern (http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~`schmidt/Acc-Con.ps.gz).

I'm sure that you can come up with some use case that will seem to
require you to modify the parser feature set on the fly in the middle of
a parse but I'm equally sure that it would not outweigh the myriad
benefits of applying the Acceptor/Connector pattern.

An additional benefit of this approach is that the steady state
interfaces can continue to be SAX1 and not impact the existing code
base. This relates to the Parser2 thread.

Cordially from Corvallis,

Gabe Beged-Dov

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)