Lotsa laughs

Chris Lilley chris at w3.org
Tue May 25 13:55:31 BST 1999

James Clark wrote:

> "John E. Simpson" wrote:
> > Ah. Yes, I just checked using IE5 and can indeed see that IE5 "reads" URLs
> > with embedded spaces just fine, by auto-encoding them to %20s. That's an
> > interesting twist.
>
> This is in conformance with the W3C Character Model WD. See
>
>  http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-charmod#URIs

Actually, no.

What it is doing is taking content which is *not* in conformance with
either the W3C Character Model or RFC2396, and silently fixing it up so
that it *does* conform when dereferencing URLs.

This is supposed to happen on authoring (so the content is valid), not
as a form of retrospective error correction.

--
Chris