SML answers for SML problems

Lauren Wood lauren at sqwest.bc.ca
Fri Nov 12 17:48:59 GMT 1999

On 12 Nov 99, at 3:02, Don Park wrote:

> One of the goals for SML should be:
>
>     SML is what people think XML is.
>
> By people, I mean the engineers understand the key concepts
> behind XML but have not yet been spoiled by the hairy details.
> SML should fit the mental model of XML people build when they
> first hear about XML.

Funnily enough, if you go back 3 years, and substitute "SGML" for
"XML" and "XML" for "SML", you get the discussions many of us
were having about why XML was an advantage over SGML...
mostly, that XML was what most people thought SGML was, or
should have been.

So SML is 20% of 20% of SGML? Hmmm, does 4% of SGML
deliver 64% of the usefulness?

Lauren