Feeler for SML (Simple Markup Language)

James Robertson jamesr at steptwo.com.au
Mon Nov 15 22:53:53 GMT 1999

At 04:54 16/11/1999 , Matthew Gertner wrote:
>Tim Bray wrote:
> > As for the WML world, the WAP-folk have apparently taken the decision that
> > none of IP/HTTP/HTML/XML are appropriate for them without significant
> rework.
> > Anyone is free to disagree, but they're the ones building the cellphones.
>
>Did I miss something? I have the June 99 WML draft sitting on my desk,
>and while I haven't checked every detail, it looks pretty close to a
>conformant XML app. There might be some problems with character encoding
>and the XML declaration (or lack thereof), but I would hardly call this
>"significant rework".

There's the unique binary compression method
for a start. From what I've read, this is badly
spec'd enough to mean that the few implementations
so far are incompatible. Sigh.

Anyway, it's the lack of use of TCP/IP/HTTP and HTML
that is the big issue.

James Robertson
Step Two Designs Pty Ltd
SGML, XML & HTML Consultancy