Towards an XML Parser Compliance Table Version:17-11-99-15:16

schen at falconwing.com schen at falconwing.com
Wed Nov 17 16:50:26 GMT 1999

Hi Sean, everyone,

David Brownell already wrote up a nice article about this at:
http://www.xml.com/pub/1999/09/conformance/index.html
which I can't get to at the moment.

His test driver can be found at http://home.pacbell.net/david-b/xml/

On Wed, 17 Nov 1999, Sean Mc Grath wrote:

> Fully 1.0 Compliant - Non Validating
> -------------------------------------
4. Sun ProjectX

> Fully XML 1.0 Compliant - Validating
> ------------------------------------
2. Sun ProjectX

> Non XML 1.0 Compliant - Non-Validating
> --------------------------------------
aelfred
DataChannel
Microsoft
IBM XML4J
IBM XML4C

> Non XML 1.0 Compliant - Validating
> ----------------------------------
> nsgmls (C++)
> xmlproc (Python)

IBM XML4J
IBM XML4C (? I think)

-------------
BTW, I think a more useful table would include what other features the
parsers have, rather than just a strict compliance/validating judgement.

Example features to consider would be: parser size (why I use aelfred),
parser speed (why XP is a good choice), language supported (Java/C/C++),
DOM1 support, DOM2 support, SAX support, SAX2 support, namespace support,
external entities support, memory usage, maximum file size supported,
and last but not least character set encodings supported.

(Note that there are add-on utilities to graft DOM and SAX2 support to
various popular parsers too)

. . . Sean (not related =)