External Parameter Entities for Reuse?

Barton Stanley barton.stanley at innovision.com
Thu Nov 18 18:22:19 GMT 1999

Greetings!

There has been some discussion on this list recently about people's experience with external parsed general entities.  It sounds to me as though there is general agreement that external parsed general entities should not be employed as a data/object reuse mechanism.

In a somewhat similar vein, I am interested in people's experience with employing external parameter entities as a declaration reuse mechanism.  In other words, is it advisable to use a common set of declarations (i.e. a single, physical entity) across multiple document type definitions?  Why or why not?

Thanks,

Barton Stanley