External Parameter Entities for Reuse?

G. Ken Holman gkholman at CraneSoftwrights.com
Thu Nov 18 19:28:43 GMT 1999

At 99/11/18 12:21 -0600, Barton Stanley wrote:
>In a somewhat similar vein, I am interested in people's experience with
>employing external parameter entities as a declaration reuse
>mechanism.  In other words, is it advisable to use a common set of
>declarations (i.e. a single, physical entity) across multiple document
>type definitions?

It is in my environments.

>Why or why not?

(1) - it allows me to parameterize the declarations of internal general
entities by using marked sections in external parameter entities (though
typically for only one model for parameterization reasons and not different
models for reuse reasons)

(2) - it allows me to collect internal general entity declarations by topic
(useful for reuse)

(3) - it allows me to include a "package" of declarations under the purview
of others (e.g. the OASIS Table Model) ... (also useful for re-use)

I don't think I've put the element and attribute declarations for a given
document model into more than one physical file when I'm responsible for
the entire DTD, but if it were *really* big I would either do so or
question why my model was so large.

--
G. Ken Holman                    mailto:gkholman at CraneSoftwrights.com
Crane Softwrights Ltd.             http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/x/