Why I Hate Palmtops (was: Re: SGML, XML and SML)

Michael Champion mike.champion at softwareag-usa.com
Tue Nov 23 16:30:34 GMT 1999

----- Original Message -----
From: <rev-bob at gotc.com>
To: Don Park <donpark at docuverse.com>; <xml-dev at ic.ac.uk>
Sent: Tuesday, November 23, 1999 11:00 AM
Subject: Why I Hate Palmtops (was: Re: SGML, XML and SML)

> See, all that just misses my point entirely.  I don't care what the
writing surface feels like.
> I don't care about handwriting recognition - in fact, my Casio doesn't
include it at all.
> My concern is that I can't write a coherent article when I can't even
glance up to see
> what I wrote last paragraph - and that's purely a function of the limited
visual area.  The
> only thing that will help that is to make the screen bigger - and that
clamshell trick is
> probably about the only practical way to do that to any large degree.
(Not to mention
> that it automatically provides screen protection and covers the buttons!)

I think that misses the point of ultralight clients!  I wouldn't expect to
write a novel, or code, on my cellphone, and I don't want to lug around even
my Sony Vaio (about 2 lb ultraslim notebook) to make phone calls.  In
between those extremes there's a lot I *would* like to do on my cellphone
that (being in the US) I can't do yet, like scan my email for anything
important, check my travel arrangements on Web sites, maybe read some news
headlines or see how badly my lastest XML-DEV posting is being flamed ;~)

I would *rather* do these things on a notebook PC form factor, but not at
the cost of lugging it around, spending 2-3 minutes to start it up, having
to recharge it every couple of hours, etc.  The phone is better in these
respects.