Why I Hate Palmtops (was: Re: SGML, XML and SML)

Gavin Thomas Nicol gtn at ebt.com
Sat Nov 27 22:38:24 GMT 1999

> > probably about the only practical way to do that to any large degree.
> > (Not to mention that it automatically provides screen protection and
covers
> > the buttons!)
>
> I think that misses the point of ultralight clients!  I
> wouldn't expect to write a novel, or code, on my
> cellphone, and I don't want to lug around even
> my Sony Vaio (about 2 lb ultraslim notebook) to make phone calls.  In
> between those extremes there's a lot I *would* like to do on
> my cellphone that (being in the US) I can't do yet, like scan my email for
anything
> important, check my travel arrangements on Web sites, maybe
> read some news headlines or see how badly my lastest XML-DEV posting is
> being flamed ;~)

I don't see why you need XML for this though... I can see XML being
used on the server side, and then delivered in various forms... which
could be anything.

We used to do a nifty demo showing content (100's of MB's) stored on the
server, and delivered to PC's *and* palm pilots, with completely
different looks and feels, simply by changing a stylesheet. Heck, I
could have delivered s-expressions just as easily as HTML in those
cases, can could just as easily general binary data that would consume
far less bandwidth and processing power on the display device.

I call this "the XML as hammer syndrome"....