If SAX == lex, then what == yacc?

Anthony B. Coates abcoates at TheOffice.net
Wed Nov 24 12:24:33 GMT 1999

** Reply to message from Sean Chen <schen at falconwing.com> on Tue, 23 Nov 1999
11:38:17 -0500 (EST)

> > Compilers (traditionally)  don't build a tree
> > version of a source file before they start outputting the object code to
> > a file.
>
> Er... minor correction here.  Compilers *do* traditionally build a tree
> version of a source file, it's called the AST, Abstract Syntax Tree.

OK, what I should more precisely have written is that compilers do not *wait*
until they have finished building an entire tree before they start generating
the object code.  This seems to be to be different to what happens with the DOM,
where the tree would appear to be complete by the time the client application
can access it.

	Cheers,
			Tony.

** Anthony B. Coates    >> mailto:abcoates at TheOffice.net <<
** Software Engineer (Java).  This is a 100% Pure Java e-mail.
** AJUG National Secretary (see http://www.ajug.org.au/)