Why no ']]>' in CharData?

Don Park donpark at docuverse.com
Sun Nov 28 03:51:53 GMT 1999

>> Yes it is < in SML.  It is not the support of > that is
>> expensive.  It is the fact that every conforming SML processor
>> will have to make sure there is no ']]>' in content and issue
>> error if there is.  This is nonsense from SML point of view.
>
>I am suggesting that ">" be forbidden in SML character data altogether.
>That way no check for "]]>" is needed at all.  In addition,
>all ">"s are guaranteed to be tag terminators, which makes
>for a simple inner dispatch loop.

Hmm.  Interesting idea.  Low in cost and balances <.

But the problem is now we are incompatible with XML
documents that did not escape > in character data.
The spec used the word 'MAY' for general use and 'MUST'
only when it is used with ]]>.  *head-scratch*

BTW, its only three days more til Joe Stephenson
returns from vacation.  Hang in there folks. <g>

Best,

Don Park    -   mailto:donpark at docuverse.com
Docuverse   -   http://www.docuverse.com