[SML] SML compatibility with XML. ( Preliminary EBNF v0.2 )

Paul Tchistopolskii paul at qub.com
Sun Nov 28 19:18:49 GMT 1999

> This, of course, breaks compatibility with XML.  A bad idea,
> in my opinion.  I'd be much more interested in exploring
> the possibility of codifying a restricted subset of XML that
> can work with the tools I have (psgml, SAX, XSLT, etc.):

> Once you've decided to leave XML compatibility behind.

I don't think anybody realy wants to avoid XML compability.
As far as I remember, in the original SML posting
Don was talking about the susbset of XML and
I think the objective remains the same.  Right ?

By XML compatibility I mean that idealy any SML file
should  be  processed by existing XML APIs and tools
without any pre/post processing of SML file.

However, if there is some *very* serious reason to
break this kind of compatibitily, it would be very
interesting to know why SML should get the feature
that breaks such compatibility  with XML.

Rgds.Paul.