[SML] SML compatibility with XML. ( Preliminary EBNF v0.2 )

Sean McGrath digitome at iol.ie
Sun Nov 28 19:54:40 GMT 1999

[Paul Tchistopolskii <paul at qub.com>]

>I don't think anybody realy wants to avoid XML compability.
>As far as I remember, in the original SML posting
>Don was talking about the susbset of XML and
>I think the objective remains the same.  Right ?

"Subset" is the killer word here. Is means
different things to different people. In
an SML context "simple" also means different
things to different people. Simple for
programmers, simple for content creators,
etc.

I am particularly fond of the way the word
"subset" has been abused in WAP which has
a JavaScript implementation which is an
"extended subset" of ECMA262. Go figure!

regards,

<Sean uri="http://www.digitome.com/sean.html">
Developers Day co-Chair WWW9, April 2000, Amsterdam
<uri>http://www.www9.org</uri>
</Sean>