[SML] Whether to support Attribute or not?

rev-bob at gotc.com rev-bob at gotc.com
Mon Nov 29 15:47:05 GMT 1999

> >   Consider:

> How about this?

> This is for sure not XML/SGML, but it generalizes the recursive
> pattern.  If you want an attribute on the attribute, you write:
>
> 	<element <att <att-of-att>subvalue</att-of-att>>val</att>>  ...

This might be the right time to note that the iHTML server-side scripting package
operates in exactly that manner.  An actual scrap of code (from my site) looks like:

<iSET sbit=`<iRANDOM dbname="gotc" table="SQLcode">`>

The main bugaboo in using this structure, at least where iHTML is concerned, concerns
quotes.  The above works fine, because the back-sq's (a) properly contain the unparsed
iRANDOM tag and (b) do not appear in the data which replaces that tag.  However, this
can get really nasty if you're not careful; it helps if you actually break down the recursion
into successive statements.

 Rev. Robert L. Hood  | http://rev-bob.gotc.com/
  Get Off The Cross!  | http://www.gotc.com/