[SML] Namespace support

Joe Lapp jlapp at webMethods.com
Mon Nov 29 15:52:13 GMT 1999

One drawback to excluding attributes is that we lose the ability to declare
XML namespaces.  Since I know many people with gripes about the complexity
of XML namespaces, we might also take the opportunity to simplify there.

In particular, I want to be able to leverage all the code that has been
implemented for XML namespaces; we don't want to reinvent the wheel, and we
need to be fully compatible with XML.

Maybe we should support xmlns attributes on the root element only.  When
you have to mix elements from different namespaces, you may have to change
the attributes of the root element to reflect all the namespaces.  This may
involve resolving namespace prefix collisions, but this is fine with me (we
already find the need to do this on occasion in full XML).

I don't see any way around supporting namespaces in SML.
--
Joe Lapp                     (Looking for some good people to
Senior Engineer               help create XML technologies that