Why namespaces?

Simon St.Laurent simonstl at simonstl.com
Wed Sep 1 14:58:01 BST 1999

At 09:17 AM 9/1/99 +0800, James Tauber wrote:
>"we would only need separate namespaces for each flavour of XHTML if people
>are going to want to mix the three flavours in the one document and
>distinguish the different usages of the element/attributes names in the
>intersection."

Simple, clean, cuts to the heart of the matter.  This explanation focuses
on what namespaces are best at doing, without getting caught up in the murk
of what namespaces 'might' be used for (or 'mean') in the future, if indeed
that ever gets specified.

Of course, maybe I'll have some fun by creating documents that mix all
three flavors of XHTML...  No - don't think so.

Simon St.Laurent
XML: A Primer (2nd Ed - September)
Building XML Applications
Sharing Bandwidth / Cookies