How about over 1,000,000 XHTML Namespace URIs?

David Brownell david-b at pacbell.net
Thu Sep 2 00:06:47 BST 1999

As someone said (and it wasn't Bill Joy who said it first,
despite what someone said here the other day!) there are
only three interesting numbers in computer science:  zero,
one, and many (including an infinity).

If the XHTML WG doesn't want one namespace (like us rational
folk on this list :-), and we don't like to see an unbounded
number of namespace IDs ...

Perhaps the right answer is zero:  just take the namespace
URI out of the XHTML spec completely.

- Dave

p.s. I think the actual formula is a bit less than N-squared;
    N, plus N-1 combinations of the namespaces that are "all
    but one of them", and so on.  Regardless of what the real
    formula is, it's clearly a nonlinear growth.