How about over 1,000,000 XHTML Namespace URIs?

Jeff Greif jmg at trivida.com
Thu Sep 2 00:47:50 BST 1999

But isn't any tag proliferation of this sort (rendering data for an external
application) supposed to be avoided (in HTML 4 at least) by

<OBJECT type="application/x-ms-spreadsheet" data="stuff.xls" ...></OBJECT>
and
<OBJECT type="application/x-ra-videoclip" data="clinton.ram" ...></OBJECT>

People shouldn't be adding such tags, defining DTDs to support them,  or
making namespaces to attempt to distinguish their new bogus HTML derivatives
from the vanilla forms.  One would hope vendors would not be so stupid as to
do this when there is no longer any justification whatever (in some earlier
HTMLs there was no uniform mechanism).

Jeff