How about over 1,000,000 XHTML Namespace URIs?

David Megginson david at megginson.com
Thu Sep 2 02:37:39 BST 1999

Jeff Greif writes:

 > But isn't any tag proliferation of this sort (rendering data for an
 > external application) supposed to be avoided (in HTML 4 at least)
 > by
 >
 > <OBJECT type="application/x-ms-spreadsheet" data="stuff.xls" ...></OBJECT>
 > and
 > <OBJECT type="application/x-ra-videoclip" data="clinton.ram" ...></OBJECT>

Pick a different example, then; how about

or

The original selling point of XML (not, I think, its most important
use, but the reason it got all the press) was that it would provide a
well-defined way to extend XML.  This is the kind of extension that
people were thinking of, and XHTML will let us all down if it tries to
make such an easy thing hard.

We still end up with exactly the same unmanageable proliferation of
Namespace URIs if we need a different Namespace URI for the HTML
containing each extension.

All the best,

David

David Megginson                 david at megginson.com