XHTML & Schemas

Paul Prescod paul at prescod.net
Thu Sep 2 18:00:17 BST 1999

James Tauber wrote:

> [...]

I disagree on two fronts. First, namespaces are for distinguishing
element/attribute vocabularies *across* instances. The whole point is
that I could (one day) take some XHTML content and put it in an instance
that is not entirely an XHTML document.

> A corollary to this is that *something else* (perhaps in conjunction with
> namespaces) must trigger stylesheets, validators, etc. I would like to see a
> solution proposed for that---soon, if at all possible.

I don't follow this at all. What is the value in namespaces if they
cannot be used in style rules, schema rules and other such
name-triggered processes.

XSLT and XSchema *already* use them as triggers. Do you claim that this
is an abuse?

David's whole argument is that three namespaces make it more difficult
to use namespaces as triggers because you must now trigger on three
names instead of one.

 Paul Prescod

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)