XHTML & Schemas

Walter Underwood wunder at infoseek.com
Thu Sep 2 18:45:05 BST 1999

At 09:29 AM 9/2/99 +0800, James Tauber wrote:

>A corollary to this is that *something else* (perhaps in conjunction with
>namespaces) must trigger stylesheets, validators, etc. I would like to see a
>solution proposed for that---soon, if at all possible.

Perhaps an instruction to the application processing the document?

XML 1.0 does not support modules.
XHTML is a modular design.
It's gonna look ugly in XML 1.0.

So we're discussing *which* ugly workaround to use. Every solution
is going to have big problems. My design eperience tells me to
put in a version number and avoid multiplying entities unnecessarily.
Whether that means PI's or three namespaces, or what, I can't tell yet.
But when or if we have an XML that supports modules, the legacy code
and the QA test cases for XHTML 1.0 shouldn't be a long-lived albatross.

One way to decide between approaches is to implement some real
systems and see which one works best, both for the software and
for the people. Of course, that takes time.

So, what is the rush to get a recommendation for XHTML 1.0 done?
If the underlying support (modules, schemas) isn't there yet, why
not wait? I see folks successfully using XML for structure and
translating to HTML for presentation, but I don't seen a lot of
folks who need both in the same document this year.

How many people here need an XHTML recommendation Real Soon Now?
Here at the search engine mines, we don't need a format until
someone else uses it.

wunder
--
Walter R. Underwood