XML-RPC interface for discussion groups

Dave Winer dave at userland.com
Thu Sep 2 19:22:37 BST 1999

This document describes the XML-RPC interface implemented by UserLand
discussion groups.

http://www.xmlrpc.com/discuss/msgReader$181

With a compatible editor you can easily create and edit web pages with
workstation editors that are not browser based. It's a way, thru scripting,
to work around limits in the browser as an editing environment, without
giving up the convenience of direct-connect thru HTTP.

Support is in development, in the community, for Emacs, BBEdit, AppleScript,
ShockWave and Windows COM-compatible editors such as MS-Word, and no doubt
others. We are also working with other discussion group software vendors to
support this specification.

For UserLand, this is the back-end for our editorial groupware system, and a
new web writer's tool we have in development. But the interface can be used
for all kinds of workflow and groupware. The more the merrier!

Dave Winer
UserLand Software

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)