XHTML & Schemas

Hunter, David dhunter at Mobility.com
Thu Sep 2 19:34:38 BST 1999

Why not

<MYDOC>
<P xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/XHTML"><?xhtml mode='loose'?>This is supposed
to be loose.</P>
<P xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/XHTML"><?xhtml mode='strict'?>This is
supposed to be strict.</P>
</MYDOC>

We all agree that PIs are visibly ugly, but in this case, the way some of us
are proposing the XHTML group moves forward [one namespace, now and
forever], they're doing exactly what we want them to do:  giving
instructions to the processor.  If the processing instruction gets left out,
let the application default it to loose, or whatever it chooses.

In the future, if XHTML gets consolidated to one flavour, we would

a)  still only have one namespace - easier to denote XHTML in other XML
documents
b)  have processing instructions in our legacy XHTML documents, so that
future XHTML applications would be able to tell, if they cared

David Hunter
david.hunter at mediaserv.com
MediaServ Information Architects
http://www.MediaServ.com