Consensus and Community (W3C and xml-dev)

Simon St.Laurent simonstl at simonstl.com
Thu Sep 2 19:49:16 BST 1999

At 01:37 PM 9/2/99 -0400, Ann Navarro wrote:
>There's no giant surprise lurking anywhere. The same arguments we're having
>here about the use and appropriateness of namespaces in general occur
>(probably) within every Working Group -- yes, that makes a case for further
>work there, but it's not something the *HTML Working Group* is going to be
>chartered to solve.
>
>If you'll recall, the group's *original* draft had 3, we, for a time, went
>to 1, but reversed ourselves back to the original position.
>
>No Hand of God action there.

Okay, I'll keep that in mind the next time a Proposed Recommendation shows
enormous differences between its content and the previous Working Draft.

I don't think God's involved (certainly hope not), but it seems like an
awfully large thing to do on the way to a PR.  You can deny it all you
like, but it smells pretty ugly to this long-time W3C watcher.

No rationale + sudden leap at PR stage -> No confidence.

Simon St.Laurent
XML: A Primer (2nd Ed - September)
Building XML Applications
Sharing Bandwidth / Cookies