Consensus and Community (W3C and xml-dev)

Mark Nutter mnutter at fore.com
Fri Sep 3 14:12:48 BST 1999

At 04:24 PM 09/02/99 -0400, you wrote:
>What Simon wants, of course, is the rationale.  *What* was the compelling
>argument that made the HTML WG reverse itself on this point, so close
>to PR?

Are we sure there was a (singular) compelling argument?  What if the WG
reached its conclusion after a long and convoluted debate (such as the
debate that's been going on here lately)?  Supplying a concise rationale
might be a "non-trivial" task, might it not?

I'm trying to avoid taking sides here, but I'm getting a sense that perhaps
conditions might be ripe for the evolution of conspiracy theories that
aren't really accurate or helpful.  I've been learning a lot from the
discussion, and I hope the flow of information isn't impeded by anybody
feeling that they have to watch what they say.

Pardon the intrusion, I'll sit back and return to just watching the show
again.  Thanks for your patience.

Mark Nutter, <mnutter at fore.com>
Internet Applications Developer
FORE Systems

When birds start perching on the lawn, it's time to mow it.

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)