Consensus and Community (W3C and xml-dev)

Len Bullard cbullard at hiwaay.net
Fri Sep 3 15:13:50 BST 1999

Mark Nutter wrote:

> At 04:24 PM 09/02/99 -0400, you wrote:
> >What Simon wants, of course, is the rationale.  *What* was the compelling
> >argument that made the HTML WG reverse itself on this point, so close
> >to PR?
>
> Are we sure there was a (singular) compelling argument?  What if the WG
> reached its conclusion after a long and convoluted debate (such as the
> debate that's been going on here lately)?  Supplying a concise rationale
> might be a "non-trivial" task, might it not?

That the discussion is long and convoluted does not relieve the
authority
of documenting the rationale for the change.  When doing a review, it is
common practice to note the objection to the text, the reason for the
objection,
and the suggested change and consequence of the change.  Two points are
being advanced that are separable and simple:

1.  Multiple namespaces in a single vocabulary are unnecessary and
complex.  This can be confirmed or refuted by citing requirements,
examples, and counterexamples.

2.  The process of closed deliberations and closed documentation of
rationale used by the W3C impedes the progress of developing,
understanding
and implementing the technology.  It engenders fear, mistrust and
suspicion.
The delegates of the consortia are responsible for these outcomes.

A separate but valid debate is if if the W3C can be said to be creating
standards at all.  The process and constitution of authority suggests to
me that the W3C creates technology, not standards.  There is nothing
wrong with that and in fact, it is a better path for consortia.  The
W3D (VRML, X3D) consortium works with ISO to co-develop standards.  The
consortium creates
the technology, and ISO is the authority for the standard.  This
arrangement is working.  The W3D as a member of the W3C works
with the technology within which its products must function.

Because the processes of the W3C are closed to non-members, and if
those here consider the XML users, developers, vendors, etc.
a Community, then events like this are PRECISELY when you should
become involved even if the noise level is high.  Stick to the
issues, don't kick each other, do let it pass when you do
(humans here all; we get emotional and that is a strength),
and push on.   There is the difference in community and
consortia.  Without tolerance, self-restaint, and
compassion, you have little chance of reaching consensus.

len

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)