ATTN: Please comment on XHTML (before it's too late)

Paul Tchistopolskii paul at qub.com
Sun Sep 5 01:03:33 BST 1999

----- Original Message -----
From: joubin <joubin at inch.com>
To: Kay Michael <Michael.Kay at icl.com>; XMLDev list <xml-dev at ic.ac.uk>
Sent: Thursday, September 02, 1999 11:27 AM
Subject: Re: ATTN: Please comment on XHTML (before it's too late)

> From: Kay Michael <Michael.Kay at icl.com>
>
> >I seem to recall, at the time Namespaces was being debated, a lone voice
> >saying that of course namespaces should be hierarchic rather than
> >single-level. Shame that none listened.
>
> Exactly.  The whole point of URI/URL schemas (AFAIU) is to map
hierarchical
> spaces.
>
> But XML-NS simply uses the cumbersome notation (it ain't, strictly
speaking,
> pretty) when the __information__ that the notational system is designed to
> convey is disregarded?
>
> (Further motivation:  A hierarchical naming context will greatly
facilitate
> 'modularization'.)

Namespaces should be hierarchic. I think that now most of
XML developers  would agree.

Is there any procedure for voting things like this?

I think if 90% of XML developers would now  vote  for namespaces
to be hierarchic, it may change something.

Rgds.Paul.

PS. I guess if voting would become  more popular procedure
than it is now we'l get more efficient movement, because
the nature of maling-list or any newsconference does not
provide enough statistics. Definately, namespaces are *so*
important  that manking 'not perfect' desision in this area
would affect  many ( if not all of)  XML applications, so
I think that  voting on issues like this is reasonable.

Also in some cases voting may decrease the level
of useless agression.

 paul at pault.com   www.renderx.com   www.pault.com
 XMLTube * Perl/JavaConnector * PerlApplicationServer