Hierarchical Namespaces (was Re: ATTN: Please comment on XHTML (before it's too late))

James Tauber jtauber at jtauber.com
Sun Sep 5 09:53:04 BST 1999

> Namespaces should be hierarchic. I think that now most of
> XML developers  would agree.

Namespace URI's are hierarchical already, so all it would take is prefix
matching. I briefly suggested this when namespaces first came out and again
in more detail in a couple of posts last week.

Upon further reflection, it wouldn't even need a modification to XPath
(although such a modification could make prefix matching cleaner). As far as
I can tell, all you would need to do is something like:

p[starts-with(namespace-uri(),"http://www.w3.org/xhtml1/")]

James
--
James Tauber / jtauber at jtauber.com / www.jtauber.com