Hierarchical Namespaces (was Re: ATTN: Please comment on XHTML (before it's too late))

Paul Tchistopolskii paul at qub.com
Sun Sep 5 12:08:44 BST 1999

> > Namespaces should be hierarchic. I think that now most of
> > XML developers  would agree.
>
> Namespace URI's are hierarchical already, so all it would take is prefix
> matching. I briefly suggested this when namespaces first came out and
again
> in more detail in a couple of posts last week.
>
> Upon further reflection, it wouldn't even need a modification to XPath
> (although such a modification could make prefix matching cleaner). As far
as
> I can tell, all you would need to do is something like:
>
> p[starts-with(namespace-uri(),"http://www.w3.org/xhtml1/")]

Maybe we have a different understanding of what is
hierachical  ?

http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/strict

Do I understand right that version 2 would cause

http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml2/strict

By the way -  XT is now using

xmlns:xsl=http://www.w3.org/XSL/Transform/1.0

This is smart. ;-)

In opposite , the article
( http://www.jclark.com/xml/xmlns.htm )
( by the same author! ;-) shows us:

xmlns:HTML="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40

Isn't it *not* that smart?

Would't it be better to have:

xmlns:HTML="http://www.w3.org/HTML/4.0

instead ?

When I upgraded to the new version of XT,
it was very polite for XT  to notify me that I should
change my good old stylesheet to use that new
namespace.

I guess that my *next* upgrade would go even smooter,
because current namespace is providing some clue
because of it's hierarhical form.

> > Namespaces should be hierarchic. I think that now most of
> > XML developers  would agree.

Rgds.Paul.

PS. Actualy there are still some more problems, but thinking
about more complex things would be easier after I'l understand
some simple things.

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)