Crazy idea

Rick Jelliffe ricko at allette.com.au
Mon Sep 6 19:54:58 BST 1999

From: Paul Prescod <paul at prescod.net>

>This "stylesheet as schema" idea comes around every so often but I
think
>that it has one major flaw: stylesheets cannot drive syntax directed
>editors.

Yes, but  the idea is not "stylesheet as schema" but "validator
implemented by
stylesheet transformation language".  As Francis Norton's tool (see
previous
email) shows, DCD (which is pretty suitable for a syntax-directed
editor)
validation can be implemented using XSLT.

Also, why should a syntax-directed editor work outside-in (i.e., using
content
models). That the currently do so is because they use grammars where the
children are keyed by the parent, but that is not the only way in which
grammar can be specified.

I do not see why a syntax-directed editor could not key off path
expressions
instead of the curent element type. That is surely how global exclusions
and
inclusion exceptions in SGML work: you can or cannot insert this element
type
because some ancestor's (extended) content model has allowed or banned
it.

>From a mathematical point of view, I don't think that XSchemas are much
>stronger than DTDs. The set of tag-based languages they can describe
are

Here here.

>pretty much the same. The XSLT set of languages would be radically
>different. What's the XSLT equivalent for this content model:
>
>((a*,(b|c)+,d)+|(d,(b|c)*,d?)+)

It would be a lot of typing in XSLT, but it cannot see why it could not
be
done. It can be a transformed from a schema anyway.

Another possibility is also that a validator need not perform all
possible
validations to be still useful. I have a note "Weaker Validation" at
http://www.ascc.net/xml/en/utf-8/weakvalid.html on this. In particular,
for documents in development is it useful to have a weaker validation.

>On the other hand there are constraints that XSLT could support that
>schemas probably could not.

I think abbreviated RDF and XML namespaces should be test cases for
XML schemas: if they can handle those, then we have a clear advance.

Rick Jelliffe

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)