an unfilled need

Tim Bray tbray at textuality.com
Mon Sep 6 20:16:27 BST 1999

At 01:54 PM 9/6/99 -0400, David Megginson wrote:
>If MS and Netscape/Mozilla both buy into the same Namespace URI, then
>it won't much matter what the W3C says, but I'd still like to hope
>that the XHTML WG will give us a URI -- even just a NOTE with the line
>
>  The XML Namespace URI for HTML is "http://www.w3.org/Markup/".
>
>would help

Hmm, I observe that the namespace name hardwired to the prefix "xml:" is

 http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace

(amusing, since the namespace spec is dated January 1999).  Anyhow, I
seem to recall that Dan Connolly cooked this up on behalf of the W3C and
there was a real good reason which I unfortunately forget for having a
date in there.

So by analogy, a candidate namespace name for HTML would be

 http://www.w3.org/HTML/1999/namespace

And yes, a one-line NOTE on www.w3.org/TR would do the job.  Hey there,
HTML WG, any chance?  If you pick a URI, we all promise not to complain
about what it is.  Right, guys?  -Tim

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)