an unfilled need [ tie XML to Java ]

Len Bullard cbullard at hiwaay.net
Thu Sep 9 02:21:44 BST 1999

Steven Livingstone wrote:

> >Yes, tie XML to Java
>
> [ I have come into this discussion a bit late - where does this comment
> originate? ]
>
> This statement seems to defeat the one of the purposes of XML. I am not (not
> would want to) learn and use Java - for Web Applications there is no need
> for having to use Java. I have done plenty of exciting XML-based work using
> COM and scripting.

Tie XML to Java in an application.  That means one knows what is XML
and what is application.  If that works for the designer, it provides
both portable data and an interoperable application within the virtual
machine.  If you have used COM to do that, you have tied your data
to a COM-aware application.  Works for me.  Now, after one does
that, what is still interoperable?

len

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)