fixing (just) namespaces and validation

james anderson James.Anderson at mecomnet.de
Thu Sep 9 19:25:45 BST 1999

David Carlisle wrote:

> > It is the parsers which cause the problem by ignoring the information
> > provided.

> Ah interesting. But then the `problem' is that there is no REC or NOTE
> or hint or suggestion from anyone in authority that namespace aware
> validating parsers are _supposed_ to interpret xmlns: attribute
> declarations in this way.

As the recommendation does not say anything about this, it does not prohibit
it. There was a discussion about this nine months ago (upon release of
rec-xml-names-19990114), at which time the authoritative opinion was that such
an interpretation was not intended by the specification, as it would invert
the validity-status of some documents. I argued then, and remain convined,
that that effect would be beneficial.

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)