W3C's 'Moral Majesty'

Ann Navarro ann at webgeek.com
Sun Sep 12 16:14:27 BST 1999

At 09:45 PM 9/11/99 -0700, David Brownell wrote:
>Ann Navarro wrote:
>>
>> There's no concerted effort to place meetings in far flung locations just
>> for the hell of it (don't know how many non-WG members have ever travelled
>> 12-14 time zones for a 2 day meeting, but it's not exactly a vacation).
>
>One of the things that some "standards" bodies do is try to group
>many working group F2F meetings in one place at the same time.  I'll
>point at the IETF and the OMG here.

Do people really think that doesn't occur with the W3C?
There seem to be an awful lot of negative assumptions going around.

Yes, meetings are coordinated, both within the W3C and with events outside
(AC meetings are now coordinated with the WWWx events, this past May in
Toronto, next May in Amsterdam. Many WGs appended meetings to these events
based, in part, on the fact that a majority of participants would already
be there.

> (W3C evidently tries to have its own
>staff do that cross-pollination, which has some issues.))

What is that based on? Yes, there's a staff contact on every group -- and
they tend to specialize within certain fields (Dan tends to do XML groups,
etc). But that doesn't mean that's the *only* occurance of multiple group
participation.

>And of course, anyone who does travel 12-14 time zones without any
>plan for a vacation has my sympathy.  I suggest one day per zone.

Raises the cost of participation exponentially, no? ;)

Ann

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)