W3C's 'Moral Majesty'

David Brownell david-b at pacbell.net
Sun Sep 12 06:44:02 BST 1999

Ann Navarro wrote:

> There's no concerted effort to place meetings in far flung locations just
> for the hell of it (don't know how many non-WG members have ever travelled
> 12-14 time zones for a 2 day meeting, but it's not exactly a vacation).

One of the things that some "standards" bodies do is try to group
many working group F2F meetings in one place at the same time.  I'll
point at the IETF and the OMG here.

That not only permits folk to get to multiple F2F meetings on one
plane ticket (saving costs!!) but it also facilitates having wider
exposure of the issues that are driving any given working group, and
facilitates cross-pollination.  (W3C evidently tries to have its own
staff do that cross-pollination, which has some issues.))

And of course, anyone who does travel 12-14 time zones without any
plan for a vacation has my sympathy.  I suggest one day per zone.

- Dave

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)